CYO endeavors to help young people be more Christ-like in the way they live. The young person, not the athletic activity, is the focus of CYO athletics. CYO provides an opportunity for as many eligible young people as possible to experience spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional growth through participation in CYO sports.
This Charter defines the organizational framework of the Diocese of Cleveland Catholic Youth Organization (CYO). The CYO program depends on a relationship of mutuality between athletic administration, sport program staff, and CYO members. The foundational building blocks are as follows:
- The Charter defines the organizational relationship between CYO Athletic Administration, CYO program staff, CYO members, and the youth and families who participate in CYO.
- The Charter requires an annual choice by members to be part of the Diocese of Cleveland CYO. Choosing to be a member indicates full and active support and adherence to the spirit and letter of the Charter & Bylaws.
- The Charter requires that CYO members field teams only in leagues sponsored by CYO. Members’ participation in other leagues in a sport offered by CYO is prohibited.
- The Charter clarifies the primary roles and relationships into 3 areas:
- Diocese Athletic Administration – Governance, Oversight and Organization of CYO sports programs at the Diocesan level.
- Sports Program Operation - Commissioners and program personnel who manage sport programs.
- Member Administration - Organization of CYO sports programs at the member level.
- CYO Members and Athletic Administration agree to work together to promote good sportsmanship according to the Gospel mission and values of CYO. Together we will nurture and stress positive Christian social interactions and relationships as well as the development of physical skills and cognitive growth. CYO Members and Athletic Administration will hold paramount the spiritual development of each participant (athlete, coach, parents and fans, etc.) as we focus on high standards of behavior at all levels of CYO programs.
- CYO Member programs are an extension of the parish, school or Catholic Charities community organization. CYO athletic programs are most effective when part of the members’ comprehensive ministry to youth.
Download the Charter and Bylaws document now.