THE COMMISSION ON CATHOLIC
“Promoting Peace and Justice by Advocating for the Poor and Powerless”
The Commission works to build the Kingdom of God by enfleshing the example of Jesus and implementing the social teaching of the church. By fostering relationships rooted in peace and justice, we hope to strengthen the bonds that unite all members of the human family.
The Commission was founded in 1969 to protect and promote human dignity by empowering the poor, the voiceless, and minority groups, and by eliminating barriers that prevent their participation in society.
Sr. Kathleen Ryan, SND, Director
7800 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44102
Phone 216-939-3843 Fax 216-939-3850
PARISH OUTREACH SERVICES: “Developing Parish Social Action”
• Diocesan Education & Training Center for Social Justice
• Resources, materials & reflection guides for Parish programs
• Parish Outreach Network (Call 216-939-3843 to become your parish’s representative)
• Programs, Training & Technical Assistance for Parishes
SOCIAL JUSTICE EDUCATION: “Developing Lay Leadership”
• Catholic Social Teaching education & training – CST on-line summary
• Community-based Issues Forums
ADVOCACY/ISSUES: “Addressing Public Policy”
• Latest Dioc. Legislative Hotline
• Building Community Alliances around Local Issues
Special Program: Catholic Schools for Peace and Justice
Visit our website www.cspj.net for our mission, the schools involved, more information and the latest programs.
The Diocesan Social Action through the 5 Catholic Commissions working within the eight counties of the Diocese of Cleveland seeks to shape a more caring society and a more peaceful world through justice education, advocacy, community development and organizing. Our work is based on the call of the Gospel to work for the respect and dignity of all human life, the elimination of poverty, to speak out against injustice, and to promote the common good.